Sunday, January 4, 2009

Resolutions


For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.
-I Corinthians 2:2 NIV

I am hereby completing one of my 'New Year's resolutions'... to start a blog.  Why a blog? Well, I was amazed, and even overwhelmed, when I first ventured into the world of Facebook and realized how many people are there regularly reading 'status updates', viewing photos, and instant messaging. I was also shocked to learn how some dear friends seem to have fallen away from the Lord or become lost in their convictions. At first, I was at a loss how to react but it's really simple. Paul 'resolved' to know just 'one thing' in his ministry and that was knowing and sharing Jesus. If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, it is your commission to be a 'light set on a hill' for all to see... pointing the way to forgiveness, healing, and restoration. As believers we must be earnest in our pursuit of an intimate daily relationship with Jesus. One that is growing... contagious... profound and powerful. I am convinced we are living in the last days before the return of our Lord Jesus Christ and as 2009 arrives I've never felt greater urgency to 'be about my Father's business'.

If someone 'bumps' into me in cyberspace in 2009, I want my light shining brightly for my Savior... a light that causes sinners to feel exposed, the broken and lost to see a way to forgiveness, and a light that causes the body of Christ to be spurred to a deeper walk that includes meaningful ministry to those in need.

This photo was taken by Carol Bray, a dear friend and coworker, at our Russian  Boot Camp commissioning service last summer. The candlelight was shining bright even as the day was fading in the background. I hope my light does the same as the 'Day of Salvation' comes to a close.

One resolution is now complete. This blog has begun. Now for a tougher and more significant resolution. Is anyone willing to join me in 2009, in resolving to pray for a fresh touch of God's anointing, for boldness and courage to testify about Jesus to everyone we meet... both in person AND in cyberspace?

I am getting desperately afraid of going to heaven for I have had the vision of the shame I shall suffer as I get my first glimpse of the Lord Jesus: His majesty, power and marvellous love for me, who treated Him so meanly and shabbily on earth, and acted as though I did Him a favour in serving Him! No wonder God shall wipe away the tears off all our faces, for we shall be broken-hearted when we see the depth of His love and the shallowness of ours.
   
-CT Studd

6 comments:

Erin said...

AMEN!

Look forward to "bumping" into you on cyberspace!

Thanks for the challenge.

Aimee Esparaz said...

Hi Steve.

Welcome to blogland! Mine is mamaof2greatkids.blogspot.com

---Aimee.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Amen and Amen...I have come back a couple times to read the quote you posted by CT Studd...That we would come to a greater understanding of the Lordship of our Jesus. I am humbled...

keddoann said...

Very nicely done. I'm ready for an update! May God bless this Blog and you for committing time and energy to do it.

Blake and Hollie said...

I think your blog is a wonderful idea. I hope you keep up with it and the shining light guides people to the Lord with the help of others :) Cyberspace is challenging, but now that we have this technology it is just one more resource and way to connect. I love working on my Mom and Dad's blog and posting all the pictures when you were all in Russia this past summer. It almost made me feel like I was there. God Bless you and your family!!

Franz Snideman said...

Love your Blog and love the message!

I too am not ashamed of the Gospel or for loving Jesus Christ, our Savior!

Great sone playing the background as well!

Blessings!

Franz